This has been happening with increasing frequency:
- Celebrity reveals something personal.
- I read it, I shrug. Why are you telling me?
- The internet erupts with opinions, for and against.
- People write angry and/or condescending essays, claiming to know what I think about the celebrity and explaining why I’m stupid / homophobic / sexist / just plain evil to think that way.
- The flamewar roils on for weeks, until the next celebrity announcement.
Interest in strangers’ personal lives is unhealthy, and no good will come of it.